The Restoration

In 1984, developer Gary Melius purchased OHEKA and the remaining 23 acres which surrounded the estate and began the painstaking challenge of restoring the Castle to its original grandeur.

Intent on preserving the authenticity of OHEKA, architects, historians and researchers were brought in to corroborate every detail. Slate roof tiles, used in the 2 year restoration of the roof, were sourced from the same Vermont quarry where Kahn had purchased the originals. More than 222 windows and doors were replaced with custom-made duplicates. The handcrafted wrought iron railing on the Grand Staircase took two months to be refinished. Faux Bois specialists were brought in to restore the walls in the Library and Rubber Casters were hired to restore the beautiful plaster mouldings in the Ballroom and the Library. The Formal Gardens were recreated using the original drawings of the Olmsted Brothers resurrecting the eight reflecting pools and 3 fountains.

After $30 million in restoration (the largest in American History) OHEKA is now 70% restored and is once again elegant and refined and enjoyed by all who pass through the gates of the Estate. OHEKA remains today a symbol of the history of America and a monument to the Gold Coast of Long Island.

Restoration Photo Gallery
Online Reservations Dining Weekday Packages Upcoming Events OHEKA Videos
Online Reservations OHEKA Dining Weekday Packages eventBanner On Demand TV

OHEKA CASTLE • 135 West Gate Drive, Huntington, New York 11743 • Telephone: 631-659-1400